The Student News Site of Hunter High School

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Polls

What do you spend most of your after school hours doing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
AP advice
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • May 15, 2024
We are here
May 15, 2024

My thoughts on school safety

Shocker, I’m not angry ranting in this one

As I’ve stated in my other posts, I do not feel the safest in the school. Having to look around every classroom just to think of where I could hide in the scenario that there was a threat, like a shooter, or someone attacking people in the school. Or in the scenario where I’d have to hide somewhere for my own safety.  But, there are some things that make me feel a bit safer here. One is the weapon detectors. While yes, they are annoying to get through, they help a bit. Unfortunately, I have noticed that they don’t keep out all weapons. I have seen only one weapon, and it was being flaunted like it was a toy.

I wasn’t able to report it, because I didn’t know the name of the student, and I wasn’t able to describe this student. But since that day, I’ve seen no weapons. Two, my friends. My friends make me feel safe, even some people who aren’t my friends have made me feel safe. While yes, we can be a bit rowdy and sometimes argue, they still make me feel safe.  Three, shockingly enough, is the number of cabinets in each classroom. In case of an emergency, since a school shooter would be in too much of a rush to actually check cabinets, you could hide in those. Unfortunately, this only works if you’re small enough to fit in one.

I’ve noticed from stories about school shootings that you could hide in a bathroom, but you’d have to be really quiet since bathrooms echo sounds. Also, you’d have to empty your pockets pretty quickly. You’d also have to be really good at balancing on a toilet seat – if you’re hiding with more than one person – and have it not break. Anyway, onto the next thing that makes me feel safe.

The number of small spaces one could hide, like behind the bleachers, or up high. I’ve noticed that in the girls bathrooms, there is a panel, and it’s screws are a bit loose. If you can unscrew it quick enough, and climb up there before any threat can get to you, then you can hide up there since the ceiling is made of metal, I believe. Unless they’ve changed it since the last time I was down in the upper commons women’s bathroom. Which is unlikely.

The school officers also make me feel just a bit safer, but not much. They are good at their job, yes, but they’re more like unbothered uncles, roommates, or friends. It’s funny. They make me feel comfortable. I am a childish person, and the school officers don’t seem bothered by it. I’ve shown them drawings that I was proud of, and they’ve gladly looked at them. They’re like proud dads when showing them something you’re proud of. I remember showing them a drawing I made, and they seemed glad to see my art. I’m not saying that I see them as like a dad, or father figures, but I am saying that I feel comfortable around them, just enough to be myself.

Anyway, this is a bit short, and I apologize for that. However, I will take suggestions on what to write next (If anybody even reads my stuff lol), so feel free to comment. Until next time. Take care.

-Sage