The Student News Site of Hunter High School

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Polls

What do you spend most of your after school hours doing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Utah welcoming NHL team
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • April 24, 2024
Senior Decision Day
Samantha Sorensen, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024
End of the School year dates
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • April 22, 2024

College awareness

Many students might walk around the halls or even hear teachers talking about GEAR UP, and find themselves wondering what that is. GEAR UP is a program that gives students college awareness and readiness by talking about the resources we have and putting up displays, signs, and posters from colleges.

GEAR UP is a federally funded program, it’s a national program. It is funded by a grant that was awarded to Utah, this grant lasts 7 years. This is why one class is funded by the grant, the class of 2024, students become aware they have this resource in the seventh grade. They have this wonderful resource all throughout high school and their first year of college, the benefits this class is expected to have. College guidance, field trips to colleges, and many academic fees paid for or waived, and all the guidance/advice from the advisors and the colleges that you go to visit. You may be able to see and experience what college life could be like and see what classes you can take to become aware of the information you could learn.

Much more comes from taking advantage of this resource, you meet so many new people, and learn so many different types of things and philosophy. As for what happens when this grant expires, Utah will have to apply for the federal grant again and then see if they are qualified. Going back on the field trip advantage of this resource, I personally have gone on quite a few. For example, I and a couple of friends are going to go on a field trip to UVU. We are going to be there for their mega open house. This is an open house where all prospective students go and see what they have to offer,  there’ll be tours of the campus and overall information about the college and student life.