The Student News Site of Hunter High School

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Polls

What do you spend most of your after school hours doing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
AP advice
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • May 15, 2024
We are here
May 15, 2024

School issues

I got beef with them

I have noticed that the school doesn’t let students use most of the bathrooms. And while I understand that it’s to prevent students from skipping class, smoking, or doing other things that are against the rules, it’s stupid. I have to walk all the way across the school just to get to an unlocked bathroom so that I can change my pad, and I’m still lucky if they are unoccupied. It is infuriating to have to walk so far just to only have five minutes in the bathroom. I’ve also noticed that they took off the boys restroom door in the upper Commons. It’s stupid. Both genders are being treated unfairly, and for reasons, or problems that can easily be solved.

The school is unfair with its bathroom rules. And what’s worse is that they don’t do anything that could easily fix the problem. One, if you don’t want students skipping, have someone monitor the bathrooms, and make sure that nobody skips in the bathrooms. It is a simple solution and does not require locking half of the bathrooms. Another issue. Taking off the door to the upper commons boys restroom. Why. “To stop drug deals.” I’ve been told. That happens outside of the bathrooms too. If drugs are such a big issue, then do more to prevent students from bringing them in. Example; Dogs. A dog’s nose is strong enough to pick up separate scents and call them out. You could have dogs that are trained to sniff out drugs, and other contraband.

Another issue I have with bathroom rules. The five-minute rule that some teachers make. It’s dumb, and honestly, really unfair. Teachers can go to the bathroom for as long as they need, but as soon as a student goes to the bathroom for more than 5 minutes, it’s an issue. Some students, say, the students who are assigned female at birth, or have periods, might need a little more time to take care of business, like changing their pads, tampons, and washing their hands. Most students I’ve met who have their periods, are usually insecure about it, and take a while to even open a pad, because they’re scared someone will hear it. Not to mention, the school’s pad and tampon dispensers are sometimes empty, and sometimes, students forget to bring menstrual products, or they can’t. Then, they have to gather up the courage to even ask for a pad or tampon.

Dress code. It’s sexist. I have asked my friends, and some other people about the dress code. Specifically for women. One, no, guys areĀ not distracted by shoulders, or knees, or necks. It’s dumb. Also, for people who have issues with texture, or other sensory issues, long sleeves, or even short sleeves can be overwhelming. For me, texture is very important in the clothes I wear. I get overstimulated easily, and that can cause panic. I know a few people who have issues with longer sleeves, or short sleeves, and find shirts like tank tops, or spaghetti straps to be most comfortable. If shoulders are such an issue for the guys, then you should teach them to keep their eyes to themselves. Or, you can teach them basic respect. Don’t touch people without their permission, keep your eyes to yourself, and learn to respect other people as equals.

Now, onto how the school handles issues. One, I have issues with a very specific admin. Sherri Branch. I have reported to her that I was threatened, and she went on to lecture me for kicking out the person (who had threatened me, and physically hurt me in a few different ways) out of my friend group. She said that there was never any good reason to kick someone out of a friend group, no matter what. It’s stupid. The school officers, I have no issues with. I understand that there are rules, but oh my goodness. These rules make me so angry, and it makes me want to scream until my vocal cords areĀ shattered. One, they can’t actually start an investigation on sexual assault allegations without proof, like a photo, video, or audio recording. The same person I reported to Miss Branch, has done so many bad things to me and my friends, that even looking at them makes me sick.

This same person proceeded to play victim, and tried turning the blame on me. I will not name names, even if I hate this person’s guts. She goes unpunished for assaulting people, suffocating a friend, and trying to engage in a physical fight with me three times. She went unpunished for threatening me. This is extremely unfair. My friends and I have reported this person a few times, and she always went unpunished. The school needs to fix its issues, instead of setting them aside, and forgetting about them like it’s unimportant. I don’t feel safe in school anymore, because of all of this. I feel like I’m constantly in danger, and I can’t focus. I thought that I would feel even just a little bit safe when I got here, but I was wrong in doing so. If I have to beg the school to fix their problems, then the school doesn’t actually care.

Now, onto another issue. Transphobia. I am a transgender male, I was born female. I go by he/they pronouns, and I do not feel safe, or seen. In order for me to even have my name changed in the system, I need a parent signature. While yes, I understand that it’s for a reason, it does not stop a certain admin from constantly dead-naming me, misgendering me, and ignoring the fact that I am not a girl. I personally think that transphobia is strong in this school. Yes, I understand that some people do not like the idea of someone changing their gender for their own comfort, and figuring out their true identity, but the hate needs to stop. If the school cared about their students, then maybe they should be equal with every student. I cannot go to the bathroom of my preferred gender for two reasons. One, I feel unsafe, and two, the school will get mad if I do. Yes, I get that opposite genders are more likely to do stuff in the bathrooms if they’re in the same one, but if what is in my pants is so important, then I quit. I am tired of being judged for who I am.

This is the end of my rant. 1,000+ words, and I still have more to talk about. But I will spare you all from having to read that much. This is all I will say here. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Sage.