Snow storm

Ivana Sanchez, Staff Writer

A major snow storm continues to march east this morning with alerts issued the country from California to Massachusetts.

The storm brought several feet of snow from Washington state to California mountains including Utah and winds gusts over 100 mph. There was an enough amount of snow that many students at Hunter High struggled to get to school. Many walked in a few feet of snow this morning; while others were stuck in traffic and some didn’t even come to school.

This morning, the storm system is moving out of the Rockies and into the heartland, with freezing rain and sleet from western Texas to Kansas and Missouri, causing icy roads that are leading to accidents. The next few days we will see additional snow and ice accumulation with this storm. Although the next few days here in West Valley city its going to be mostly cloudy. However expect some snow to fall again Wednesday the 22nd.

However, snowfall and traffic delays were the heaviest from Sandy to Bountiful this morning at 6 MA. It’s not large snowfall totals that experts are worried about, but rather the intensity and timing of the storm, according to National Weather Service Salt Lake City. Blowing snow will lead to low visibility and snow is expected to accumulate on roadways so be careful.

For higher elevations, 6-12 inches of snow is expected. Forecasts show conditions will improve later in the morning and day. Utah Highway Patrol officials even advised drivers to leave earlier and plan for winter driving conditions, including icy and snowy roads.

Many school districts are were evaluating the situation for possible delays or closures.

In the South Summit School District, high schools and middle schools would start at 9 AM. Elementary Schools would begin at 10 a.m. The Alpine School District had issued a delay warning but canceled it Friday morning. Classes will be held on a normal schedule. Granite District started at a regular schedule since school weren’t affected as badly. However there were still multiple problems getting to school, and for many reasons many students were late.