The Student News Site of Hunter High School

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Polls

What do you spend most of your after school hours doing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Utah welcoming NHL team
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • April 24, 2024
Senior Decision Day
Samantha Sorensen, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024
End of the School year dates
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • April 22, 2024

Utah Jazz celebrates Black History Month

Every February we celebrate Black History Month. Black History Month was created to focus attention on the contributions of African Americans to the United States. This month is focused on honoring all black people from all periods of the US. It goes from the first African American people living here being enslaved to the African American people that live here today. The celebration of Black History Month started in 1976 by historian Carter G. Woodson. 

People and sports teams celebrate this month in so many different ways but, at the Utah Jazz, they celebrate it through education, engagement, empowerment, and support. This year 2024 they are launching The Black Book and the Black Book Bazaar. Victor Hugo Green created this guidebook to help African Americans find safe local businesses. This book contains their ventures and highlights of each business’s story. 

The Utah Jazz will be holding a Bazaar Night on February 12, 2024, at 7:00 PM at the Delta Center. Throughout their home games, a select number of Black-owned businesses from the Black Book will be welcomed into the Delta Center. These businesses will showcase their offerings at the Black Book Bazaar on the arena concourse. This is a great opportunity to get to know your local black-owned businesses. 

Some of the local businesses that are showcased in the Black Book include Amboseli Foods located in Layton, Utah. They offer spices, seasonings, and condiments. The founder Sylvia was inspired by watching her mother cook with herbs and spices as she was growing up. Limo Primo is a private car and luxury transportation. They take it to a different level ensuring your safety and fun. Team Money Good founder is Deven Osborne who is a former college football player at Utah Tech. He created this organization for college athletes to learn how to budget, save, and invest. And so much more. Make sure to check out the Black Book and support these amazing Black-owned businesses.

Source: NBA.com/jazz