The Student News Site of Hunter High School

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Polls

What do you spend most of your after school hours doing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Big cats
Sage GriffisMay 6, 2024
Senior Week
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • May 6, 2024

Hate crimes in the United States

Racism in Utah is not talked about often, and we wonder why that is. According to the NAACP, they get 10 reports of racist encounters in just one week if that is only the Utah report imagine what the whole United States report would be. Based on the latest FBI hate crime report there were 6557 raced-based hate crimes with 3,421 of those Anti-black, there were 2,042 religious-based hate crimes 1,212 targeting Jews, 158 being anti-muslim, and 81 being anti-sikh. In total, there were 13,278 hate crimes in the year 2022. These are only the reported numbers. iImagine how many cases don’t get reported each year.

These numbers are only rising year by year turning on the news and constantly seeing a new hate crime gets exhausting and it is

photo credits -https://www.splcenter.org/news/2023/04/21/hate-crime-case-prevention-focus

difficult to just sit there and watch this happen year by year. Amid the Israeli-Hamas war, some of the biggest police departments are reporting hate crimes towards Jews and Muslims. The U.S codes states that whoever commits a hate crime must serve no more than 10 years or pay a fee, this is ridiculous to me because hate crimes usually are thought out and done with a motive so 10 years or a fee is not enough time for committing such a heinous crime.

According to the FBI, Only 85% of people convicted of a hate crime get sentenced to prison with the average term being 7 and a half years this static shows that the justice system is constantly failing to protect residents of the United States from hate crime cases being so hard to prosecute in the U.S there is not much to do then speak up. Be on the right side of history and speak up about hate crimes.