The Student News Site of Hunter High School

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Polls

What do you spend most of your after school hours doing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
AP advice
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • May 15, 2024
We are here
May 15, 2024

Veteran’s Day

Veteran’s Day, originally known as Armistice Day, Veteran’s Day is annually celebrated on November 11th in the United States. The first Veteran’s Day was celebrated on November 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I. In 1938, it became an official national holiday. Armistice Day was established to honor the veterans and the end of hostilities in World War I, which officially ceased on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918.

In 1954, after World War II and the Korean War had taken place, the 83rd U.S. Congress decided to change the name from Armistice Day to Veteran’s Day. The purpose was to recognize and honor all American veterans who have served in the military, rather than only those who served in World War I. Veterans Day pays tributes to all men and women who have served in the United States Armed Forces, both in times of war and peace. It is a day to express gratitude for their service, sacrifice, and dedication to protecting the nation. The choice of November 11 as the commemorative date holds significance. It represents the armistice that marked the end of the hostilities during World War I and symbolizes the hope for peace after a period of intense conflict. In terms of national recognition and observance, Veterans Day is a federal holiday, observed with ceremonies, parades, and various activities across the country. Overall we take this time to thank veterans for their sacrifice and great work for this country and for what they have established and we highly appreciate their work and everything they did to keep this country in peace.