The Student News Site of Hunter High School

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

The Blueprint

Polls

What do you spend most of your after school hours doing?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Big cats
Sage GriffisMay 6, 2024
Senior Week
Ayan Mohamud, Writer • May 6, 2024

Afghanistan devastated after massive earthquake

A 6.3-magnitude earthquake has struck the western province of Herat in Afghanistan, with a 5.0-magnitude earthquake following shortly after.

The deadly earthquake hit October 8, killing 2,400 people and injuring just over 1,600. More than 12,000 locals have been affected, leaving most in need of necessities and healthcare. Nearly 2,000 homes across 20 villages have been completely destroyed.

Action contre la Faim teams have partnered with the Razi Social Development Organization, supplying those affected with hygiene items, warm clothing and blankets, and kitchen utensils. UNICEF, or the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund, is responsible for providing relief to children across the world. In Afghanistan, they are providing water and hygiene to the children of the families affected by the earthquake. UNICEF is currently accepting donations on its website.

Aside from organizations such as these, Afghanistan is relying almost entirely on foreign aid, as their healthcare system is struggling due to cuts made when the Taliban took over in the summer of 2021. A very small number of countries have offered to help Afghanistan with the aftermath of the earthquake, despite Afghanistan being very vulnerable.

Photo Credit:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/63-magnitude-earthquake-hits-afghanistan-days-after-devastating/story?id=103879866

Sources:

Afghanistan: Urgent action critical after devastating earthquake

Helping the victims of the earthquake in Herat