Less school equals better grades Maybe we should try it

Gage Versteeg, Staff Writer

Many people[including myself] dread when their alarm goes off. A lot of people hate waking up at 6:00 AM or earlier just to go to school. Many high school students [including myself] don’t get the 9 to 9 1/2 hours that they are recommended to have.

Instead the average teenager gets 7 to 7 1/4 hours of sleep. Most don’t go to sleep till past 11. They then have to get up a short seven hours later and go to school. If school started at 8:00 AM everyday I think it would boost attendance, tardies, and maybe even grades and everyone’s mood.

With school starting later then everyone has more time. Those that have to wake up at five or 5:30 now would have to wake up at six. Those that wake up at six could sleep till 6:30 or seven. Then there would be more time to get to school. Those that get carpooled don’t have to leave as early and those who drive their own car could leave a little later too.

School starting later could also affect grades and maybe even peoples mood. There will always be people who hate school, and that will never change, but some kids won’t be so tired and angry.

One question about school starting earlier is if it starts earlier – does it end later? One easy way would be if the school starts at six o’clock or 30 minutes earlier then it does now then let’s just go till 2:40. There would be busing problems as many junior highs and elementary schools get out around that time but it could be a problem that could be fixed. Who knows if the schedule will change, or if I just wasted time writing this because it won’t change, only time will tell.