Shakespeare Showcase competition

Pyper Fowles, Staff Writer

The Shakespeare Showcase is an opportunity for Play Pro and Dance Company to perform for friends and family before competing in the Shakespeare competition in Cedar City. It’s different for both groups; for Dance Company they have to create a dance base off of a line from any Shakespeare work. They had one small group of three perform [but have no further information.] Their group ensemble scene was based off the line “…all things are ready if our mind be so…” from “King Henry The Fifth.” The scene is basically about preparing for war. 

For Play Pro there are scene and monologues. For scenes there is groups of one to three people that pick a scene from from Shakespeare. Monologues are the exact same thing, it’s just with one person. We had three people perform in the virtual rounds; only one person moved on to compete. This person was Jessa Hole, her monologue was from Act II Scene I from the the play “Much Ado About Nothing.” The general idea of the play is about this girl named Beatrice who just doesn’t want to get married. She doesn’t think she has met the right man to get married to. All of the other characters try to convince her to get married.

Moving on to the group ensemble scene where all of Play pro preformed. They based it off of the play “The Merry Wives of Windsor” where the main guy called Sir John Falstaff thinks he’s God’s gift to women, when in reality he’s not. In the play he is playing these two women, mistress Paige and mistress Ford. The scene that they decided to pick the two mistresses discover what he’s doing and they try to make him look like he is an idiot. I’m not going to spoil the scene for you, so you can go watch it on the Hunter High School theater Instagram page @hunterhightheatre. Our amazing Hunter High Play Production got awarded first place in the competition and our very own Angelina Arcayan was awarded Larry Lott scholarship. It is an award where they pick one student from the entire twenty schools in our division to received $1,000. All of the Hunter Blueprint staff would like to congratulate Play Production and Dance company.