Hunter girl’s basketball season recap

Gage Versteeg, Sports Editor

The girl’s basketball team had an amazing season, now let’s recap how that season went. They finished 16-8 and went 9-1 in region play. The 16 wins were the most since 2014-2015 season, that team went 16-7 and also went 9-1 in region play. We also won region for the first time since that 2014-2015 season. We also beat West Jordan in the first round of the playoffs 48-38, our first playoff win since at least 2010 (I couldn’t find brackets past 2011). Our season ended after a 53-42 loss in the second round of the 6A playoffs to Skyridge High.

The team averaged 44.6 points per game. We scored 50 or more points eight times including a season high 61 in a win against West Jordan. Our leading scorer was Angel Lui who scored 12.8 points per game. She scored 20+ points four times including a season-high 21 points, three times. She scored 10+ points 14 times including the last six games. Nevaeh Brown was second in scoring with 8.1 points per game. She scored 10+ points nine times. Olivia Harding, Kaydence Brown, and Justine Aiono all scored five or more points per game with 6.1, 5.4, and 5.2 points, respectively. The leading rebounder was Nevaeh Brown with 6.3 per game. She had 15 in one game against Granger and was fourth in region in rebounds per game.

The girl’s gave up just 39.4 points per game. We held teams to less than 40 points 13 times. We gave up less than 30 three times, and we allowed a season low 25 points against Manti. We averaged a blocked shot a game and had almost 13 steals per game at 12.7. Kaydence Brown, Nevaeh Brown, Olivia Harding, and Angel Lui all got more than two steals per game. Eseta Nai was right there with 1.9 per game.

Overall, it was an amazing year for the girl’s. They accomplished so much this season and it couldn’t have gotten much better (besides winning state of course). For the seniors Justine Aiono, Angel Lui, Nevaeh Brown, Eseta Nai, and Jennifer Tellez, it was quite the bang to end their high school careers. Good luck to all of you on your bright futures ahead. And for all the non-seniors let’s go have another amazing year next year.