Too much homework, not enough time

Haelei VanGend, Staff Writer

If you attend any school you may know that they start pretty early in the day. Personally my school starts at 7:30 AM Tuesday-Friday. Now that is the starting time of most day jobs and not many students complain about the early mornings. 7:30- 2:10, about 7 and a half hours to go to 4 classes a day. That sounds like a lot of time right? 7 hours, 4 classes, you should have time. But in reality most of us don’t. Us students get about an hour and a half in each class. That’s an hour and a half to complete any assignments you get in that class. Let’s say that you get 4 assignments a class. That’s easily 16 assignments a day. Yes people may argue that we have class time to do all our work, get them done, and turn it in before we get 4 new ones from another teacher. Yet this isn’t exactly true. Teachers try and squeeze as much work as they can into one class period. Meaning you really don’t have a lot of free time to get what you need to get done. You have maybe a spare 10 minutes in each class. With the teacher explaining the assignment, passing it out, teaching you what you need to know in order to do the assignment, that’s not a lot of time in reality.

The school day ends around 2:00 PM. Let’s say you get home at 3. You need to eat, do chores, shower, and of course sleep. With the exception of little things here and there such as watching siblings while your parents go to the store, helping your brother or sister with homework, making dinner, cleaning your room, the list could go on and on. Teachers sometimes don’t recognize these things. They believe that we go home with their classes homework, and their classes homework only, and think you get home and sit down and immediately do it. This is pretty much not the case for anyone. Us students have a life outside of school. Some of us have jobs. When are we going to find time in our day to get 16 pages of homework done? There of course is the argument of “responsibility” and I can see that. Learn how to juggle everything, try and get it done in class, do your homework at lunch, but that only goes to a certain extent. When your job starts at 5:30, that gives you maybe 3 hours to get everything done? And yes that sounds like a lot of time to get stuff done, but maybe not enough to get 16 pages of homework done.

Many students also have an issue with online home work. Not every student in the school has the parents who will buy them anything they need. When stuff is assigned strictly online it can, and does, become very difficult for certain students. These students may have to save up their money, and go buy themselves a laptop. That can take time. If a teacher wants to assign almost everything that could effect your grade, shouldn’t they provide a computer? Or at very least provide one class period, an hour and a half, to allow students to use the computers at school to catch up. Not all of us may have the money, and not all of us may have the time after school to come in and use the computers. Then there are the students who argue that using computers, laptops, and smartphones to do their work, benefits everyone. It makes it easier to keep track of work, turn stuff in, and faster to do. But there is always a student who will not be able to use it or have the time to use his or hers resources.

Time will most likely always be an issue for students and it really sucks for most. Students stay up doing work late at night that turn into early mornings and it makes the next day at school exhausting . Let’s hope that teachers can try to understand what a student may be going through, and simply give us all more time.