Interview with Macord Johnson

Gage Versteeg, Staff Writer

Macord Johnson is a teacher in his third year at Hunter High and teaches 10th, 11th, and 12th grade English as well as AVID, a class meant to help students better prepare for college. He also just finished his first season as an assistant manager on the girl’s soccer team. When asked what he does during the off-season he responded with “Mainly paperwork redoing the coach certifications. I have to redo the CPR training, concussion protocol, and other things like making sure the students don’t haze each other, and that sort of thing. Overall just a lot of paperwork and programs I have to do/watch”. He will also be an assistant for the boys team, so he has been preparing for that to start in the next few months. With all the players from the athletics class now out of his room and into other classes, he now has an opportunity to catch up on grading and other stuff during the time.

The topic of proficiency based grading (PBG) was also brought up. When asked about it, he simply said, “It is it’s first use here in the English Department, so each teacher has their own way of doing it and how they do it. I prefer to keep my way not complex and easy for not only me but also my students to understand how the grading works and so fourth”. He also commented that he had things he liked and disliked about it, just like just about everyone else.