Petition for no school after Halloween

Ron Tran, Staff Writer

The day after Halloween school will still be held the next day how annoying is that? But, one student made a petition trying to convince Granite School District to not have school the following Friday after Halloween. The petition got up to 11,928 signed as of October 31 2019. Students are using social media and encouraging other students to sign the petition. In fact, it got so many it ended up on KUTV news. So, having a break the day after Halloween would be nice because students won’t have to worry about homework and studying, staying up to late, and showing up to class on time.

First, homework and studying will be a problem with a holiday like Halloween because students usually are so pumped up for Halloween they won’t be able to finish or even do the homework that is due the next day. With this being a problem this can also affect the students grades. However grades won’t be affected as much by homework, some teachers won’t except late homework or their points will be deducted. Also, studying for a test will be a problem because students can go trick or treating, parties, etc they will forget that they have a test the next day and will likely to get a score they are not happy with.

Second, staying up late will be another problem because students will not get the sleep they need for the next day. Usually about around 10:00 PM teenagers head back home after trick or treating or a party. And they won’t get enough sleep for the next day and will either be late and miss the lesson plan and won’t know how to do their assignment. This will also affect their grades and coming late to class may have an affect on citizenship.

Finally, showing up to class on time may be a struggle because if you’re out trick or treating late and come back around 12:00 making it to school the next day on time is going to be a challenge. In fact, some people may have a hard time to get up for school and will over sleep. Which will make the student come to school late. If students already have a lot of tardies this would be another problem and coming to class late will distract the class from learning.

In the other hand, some people think having school after Halloween is not a good idea because students need to get the extra education they can. According to KUTV a student in Granite School District tweeted them, “Can we get the day after Halloween off and maybe I’ll consider you guys care about us :)” in response to that, Granite School District replied, “It’s because we care that we keep you in school to keep learning.”

A logical solution to this is to not have school the day after Halloween because students will be late to class and it may affect their citizenship, tests and assignments can be a struggle to get in on time, and it will overall be better for teachers and students because they will both get a day off from school.