Safe UT

Ron Tran, Staff Writer

Do you know anyone that is suffering with depression or even yourself that is struggling with depression? In 2nd period as of October 28 2019 your teacher showed you a video about depression and there was a writing prompt on how can you help someone that is struggling with depression? But if you’re dealing with depression yourself or even know someone that has depression always try to seek a trusted adult or a professional and talking to someone can help.

One common sign of depression is feeling utterly empty and not wanting to do the thing you enjoy doing and lacking sleep. Take note of those signs if you do see those signs talk to that person or if you have any of these signs talk to someone who you trust. And try doing the activities even if you’re not in the mood. Mainly look for support from people that make you feel safe and cared for. What I would do to help someone is mainly go talk to a trusted adult, talk to them about it, and check up on them. The statistics for depression in 2019 is that depression is affecting 40 million adults in the United States people of the age 18 or 18.1% of the population every year.

That is why most schools in Utah suggest students should download the SafeUT app. The app is completely free and you can talk to a counselor about your problems. You can text and/or call a professional. Crisis counseling runs 24/7. In fact, you can even talk to them anonymously. You can also call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 801-273-TALK.