Students with jobs

Xitlali Martinez, Staff Writer

Being a high school student with a job comes with a unique set of pros and cons. Some students may get a job to have their own spending money for wants rather than needs sometimes. While others it’s necessary for them to take on a job in order provide for their families or help make ends meet or to help save for college. Being employed while learning can be difficult to manage, but it’s not impossible. Time-management is key when it comes to working while being a student because if you don’t keep your schedule in check you could fall behind academically. Adapt your classes and work schedule according to what works best for you and align your priorities. Working as a student helps teach the importance of budgeting and the value of money because students are now responsible for their own money and how they spend it. However its normal for teens to spend their money not very wisely when they first start earning their own income. This helps teach them the value of money and how to spend it a bit more wisely. While working as student can provide many benefits it can also take a lot away from students day to day lives. Jobs often take away personal time and can cause fatigue due to lack of sleep and being over worked from trying to manage school and work. Although getting a job will increase your workload as long as you don’t allow it to take away from your schooling you should be fine. Look for jobs that will work with your schedule and that leave time for you to focus on your studies.