Is our generation ready for the next big recession

Carlos Whitmer, Staff Writer

On March 4th, 1933, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was inaugurated as the 32nd president. In this time period the country was going through the Great Depression. This was a moment in which the economy was failing and the people were suffering in poverty. The Great Depression was caused by a variety of different problems that all combined together to cause this catastrophe. These were problems like the stock market being overvalued, the banks having bad practices, the overproduction of products and factories. All of these culminated to the point in which the US had an unemployment rate of 25%. 1 in every 4 adults did not have a job and it was hard for them to take care of themselves and their families. Every since some of the problems that caused this recession have been fixed, this has not stopped other recessions from happening such as the house market crisis in 2008. The danger is that we are due for another recession but is our current generation ready to endure it?

As we enter adulthood we will need to know how to get a stable job and learn to manage our money. There are a lot of different ways to learn about how we will accomplish this. One that is available to the students here in Hunter is to take Financial literacy which is also a required class for graduation. In this class you will learn how to deal with your money and take care of yourself.