Hunter beat Cyprus on Senior Night

Gage Versteeg, Sports Editor

In week nine, Hunter had it’s final game and final home game of the season against the Cyprus High School Pirates. Hunter won the game 20-17. After a 13-10 first half, the rest of the game was a defensive stalemate with each team only scoring a touchdown each the rest of the game. Hunter once again had a clutch interception in the red zone to win the game, scarily similar to the Homecoming game. With the win Hunter finishes the season with a 7-2 record and finishing 5-1 in region play.

Quarterback Daisean Cash had a very efficient completing 11 of 14 passes for 159 yards and threw two touchdowns (TD). As a said he completed a very good 78.6 percent of his passes tonight, very efficient. Jordan Tupea had a great night running with a season-high 121 yards on 24 carries. He beat his previous season high of 120 yards on opening week by one yard. Saia Lomu had 37 yards on eight carries and ran for a TD. Ofa Lokotui ran it three times for 13 yards. Wyatt Swanty lead all players with five catches for 25 yards. Taylor Savage had a team high 72 yards on two catches including a 46-yard TD. Nate Suaste had four catches for 62 yards and a TD.

We had another good game on defense. Cyprus only got nine first downs all game, that’s just 13 first downs given up the last two weeks, we had 15 on offense this week alone. We held them to 17 points and if it wasn’t for a screen pass that went for 91 yards, they would have only scored 10. Loni Tatafu had an amazing interception (INT) that he was able to dive and snag before it hit the ground. Wyatt Swanty had the clutch INT to preserve the win late in the fourth quarter.

Next week is the final week of the season and we have a bye week, so our regular season is over. It was a great season that we finished 7-2, our most wins since 2012 when we went 7-3. Now we just wait to see who we play in the playoffs. There is a new playoff system called the RPI. The final RPI will be announced this Saturday, October 19th. When it is released we will see what seed we our and whether or not it will be a home or away game. Wherever it is and whoever it is against the first round playoff game will be on Friday, October 25th.