Goal line stop secures Hunter victory

Gage Versteeg, Sports Editor

In week six, Hunter was at home facing off against the West High School Panthers. Hunter started off hot with two fumble recoveries in the first quarter alone and stormed out to a 19-6 lead at the end of the first and 26-6 lead at half. West didn’t give up though and with the help of their triple-option offense (a triple option offensive means that the run the ball practically every play whether its their QB, RB or even someone else). And their QB was very fast. They stormed all the way back to take the lead but we scored with 11 seconds left to take the 39-32 lead. You might think the game was over, because well I did. On the kickoff to West their returner returned the ball the way back for a 100-yard plus touchdown return, a extra point and the game would go to overtime tied at 39. Instead of their kicker coming out their offense came out again, if they got the two point conversion they would win 40-39, if not the game would end 39-38. The ran the ball up the middle and were stuffed, didn’t score. We held on and won.

Quarterback Daisean Cash finished the game 17 of 27 passing for 217 yards, throwing three touchdowns and two interceptions. He also ran for 118 yards on 11 carries or 10.7 yards per rush along with a TD run. That is his second 100-yard rushing game of the season, he had zero in his past two seasons, all this while also being very good at throwing the ball. We once again had a good day running the football. Jordan Tupea ran the ball 25 times for 88 yards and two touchdowns, including the game winner. We had three others run the ball once, Ofa Lokotui, Koni Tahi, and Taylor Savage for three, one, and two yards. Nate Suaste once again had a great game, catching nine passes for 109 yards and three TDs. Jordan Tupea had three catches for 53 yards. Jordan Miller and Omar Gonzalez had two catches for 28 and 10 yards. Taylor Savage had a catch for 17 yards.

Defensively we did a pretty good job slowing their run offense down. Besides a few amazing runs from West’s QB they didn’t do much till the fourth quarter. Now I usually don’t talk much about the opponents but West’s Quarterback Abraham Jackson is VERY fast. Despite them not throwing the ball much we were still able to get to the QB and get some sacks, three in total. Loni Tatafu got two of them and Sousa Moea’i got the other one. Dallas Brown had an interception and Ofa Lokotui picked up a fumble in the first quarter.

In week seven, Hunter heads to Kearns to play in a game in which the winner most likely we be region champs.