School dress code disrupts learning

Xitlali Martinez, Staff Writer

Throughout the U.S. several school districts have some sort of dress code established. The problem is that the list grows longer and longer as to what students can and can not wear. Dress code is too restrictive and is affecting students more than it is helping.  Granite School District’s dress code is vast and very much expanding with every clothing trend that appears. Some of those restrictions are ridiculous, head-wear (not including religious or cultural head-wear) and gloves are not to be worn as they are seen as disrespectful or distracting. Dress code is also quite one sided and directed towards women, if you read through the vast amount of things they have established, the majority of them are directed towards females. This only further degrades and objectifies women within society and it’s a shame that it is enforced on young girls even as young as kindergarten. Dress code is what’s really disrupting learning because the average student could care less about what someone else is wearing. Administrators will not only embarrass a student but disrespect them all because their clothing doesn’t fit within their standards. Opposing opinions believe that this is preparing us for the “real world” but forget that the world is growing more and more modern each day. A logical solution to this problem would be to reform the school dress code to restrict vulgarity and more reasonable things. Dress code even though it’s a minimal impact does affect boys, that is why all genders of modern day society should work towards a common goal of reforming the current extensive school dress code.