Hunter welcomes new football coach

Gage Versteeg, Sports Editor

About a week ago or so Hunter hired a new football coach. They hired Tarell Richards. Richards is from West Valley and went to Hunter in high school. He was a three-year varsity starter at Quarterback. He also was a three-year varsity starter in basketball. He also competed in Track and Field. He was an all state football selection twice. He went to the University of Oregon to play defensive back, but after a season he transferred to Utah State, where he played wide receiver.

He has been coaching high school football for nine seasons. This year will be his tenth. In 2008, he was the defensive backs coach for Taylorsville. After doing that for two years he went to Cottonwood, where he was a wide receiver coach. He also did that for two years and then he had the same job and Granger for a year.  In 2014, he went and became the offensive coordinator at Murray. They had one of the best offenses in 4A for the next two seasons and had some of their best seasons in the last 20 years. He even was a wide receiver coach at Eastern Illinois University for a season before returning to Hunter as the offensive coordinator last season.

I can’t wait to see if we have the same level of success this year as we did last especially on offense. It will be interesting to see. Also want to give a thank you and good luck to former coach Scott Henderson as he is retiring.