Do you have a good “teacher”

Kaydence Richens, Author

When others ask if a certain teacher is good, 90% of teenagers answer with “yes, they’re really chill” or “no, they give a lot of work”. When that question is asked, people aren’t always referring to how “chill” or how “rude” they are. They could be asking if they teach things well. Is your teacher engaging in what the class is doing. Does that teacher actually stand up in front on the class and teach you. Do they cover everything when teaching a lesson. Does your teacher get mad when you’re talking or playing on your phone instead of doing your work.

Or does your teacher hand you the same worksheet, on different subjects every time you walk into the class. Do they not care when you’re on your phone, instead of doing your work. Do they not get mad when you are asleep in class. Do they have an issue with their students not knowing anything from that class.

As much as most students like to be able to do whatever they want and not have to engage in conversations with the class. As much as most students love the “chill” teachers, we still need them to teach us something. As teachers it is their job to give us an education. It is their job to make us learn things, even if most of us are stubborn and refuse to do our work sometimes. When you give us the same things every class, just on different subjects and you don’t verbally teach us. It’s hard for us to actually learn.

We like when you don’t take our phones away or get mad at us when we aren’t doing what we are supposed to, but what we really need is for our teacher to stand up and put in our brains that they are the boss and that they are here to give us an education, not to be our friend. Having a teacher that is just here to be “chill” and be a friend, isn’t a good “teacher”. A good teacher is one who doesn’t only make assignments clear, but they make their expectations clear. We as students need to learn things so we can have the futures we have always dreamed of. We don’t need a friend that’s twice our age. We need people who are here to encourage us to follow our dreams and show us everything we are getting ourselves into for the future.