Hunter Men’s basketball 2017-18 season wrap-up

Gage Versteeg, Sports Editor

The men’s basketball season has come and gone so it is time for me to do a wrap-up. We went 3-18 and 1-11 in region play, which isn’t good but better than 2-21 which was our record last year. Our wins came against North Summit, Taylorsville, and Hillcrest. We went to overtime twice. Once against Hillcrest, a game that went to double overtime, and one against Granger. The Granger overtime game had everyone in the building on their feet and standing most of the fourth quarter and all of overtime.

Statistical Jimmy Harding was our best player as he lead the team in both scoring and rebounding with 17.7 points and 8.1 rebounds a game. He had six games in which he scored 20-plus points and two 30 point games. He had six double-doubles, which is when you get double digits in two different statistical categories. Emmaunel Mulibea was one of our other players who had good games. He averaged 7.8 points and 4.9 rebounds. He also had a game where he stuffed the stat sheet with 11 points, 11 rebound, 5 assists, 5 steals, and a block, that’s not that bad. Guards Daisean Cash and Jonathon Tonumaipea did good as well with 6.9 and 6.7 points a game. Other good games were from Sione Folahoula, who had 13 points twice and Cooper Condie who scored 17 points and 15 points in games early in the year.

This season wasn’t the greatest but as I have already said it was better than last year. One downfall is that we lose Jimmy Harding, Emmanuel Mulibea, and Jonathon Tonumaipea, who are all seniors and some of our top scorers. Daisean Cash is only a sophomore, so he is still young and will probably be a one of the leaders next year. We also lose Denzel Farrow, Sione Folahoula, Gordon Nai, and Bryan Howard. I expect many of the Juniors and Sophomores who didn’t get much playing time to get playing time and contribute. There will also more than likely be players currently on JV or Freshman that go to varsity and play some. I hope that getting better than the previous season becomes a trend and we do it again next year. Good luck to all the seniors who will be graduating and starting your own independent lives. Good luck to everyone else as you continue to work your way to graduating and become adults. Now my time here is done, see you again next year.